Materials F - L

Fire Extinguishers

Fire Extinguishers can be taken to the Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility.  


Unused fireworks pose a serious fire hazard if they are put in the trash.  Remember to dispose of unused fireworks into a bucket of water and let set overnight or longer.  Wrap the wet fireworks in plastic bags to keep them from drying out.  Dispose of them in your trash.

Fluorescent Lights & Ballasts

Fluorescent Lights & Ballasts can be taken to Rock Creek, Wilseyville, Red Hill, Gambi Disposal and Avery Recycling & Disposal sites.  Please separate them from other materials before recycling.

Fuel, including Gasoline, Diesel and Kerosene

Fuel, including gasoline, diesel and kerosene, is accepted at the Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility.  Fuel must be transported in containers no larger than 5 gallons.  Containers cannot be returned.


Please consider donating any furniture that you no longer want.  Check the Reduce, Reuse and Recycle page for more information on donating.  Your donations of good quality, salable items helps support our local economy.  If your item is not donatable, then it can be taken to the Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility.  Bulky items like a couch, can jam up the hopper at the transfer stations.  If you have curbside service, please contact them at 795-1532 regarding a bulky item pick up day.


Freezers can be taken to Gambi Disposal, Red Hill , Wilseyville  or Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility.  There is a $25.00 charge for each.  Check with Valley Springs Recycling at 772-9340, as they charge $15.00 each.

Gasoline, Diesel and Kerosene

Gasoline, diesel and kerosene is accepted at the Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility.  Fuel must be transported in containers no larger than 5 gallons.  Containers cannot be returned.

Glass Bottles

Glass bottles and jars can be taken to any of the eight Recycling & Disposal sites for recycling.  We also have some facilities which pay $$$ for them.

Hair Curlers

Hair curlers, dryers and curling irons should be cleaned and donated if still usable.  Otherwise, depending what they are made of, they are considered scrap metal or trash.

Metal Hangers

Metal hangers can be recycled in any scrap metal bins at any of Recycling & Disposal sites.  They can also be taken to your local dry cleaners or thrift stores.  Plastic hangers can be donated or put in your mixed recycling.

Helium Tanks

Helium Tanks - Five gallon helium tanks are accepted at the Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility.


Irons can be recycled with all other electronics at Avery, Gambi, Red Hill, Wilseyville or Rock Creek.  There is no charge to recycle these.

Small Kitchen Appliances

Small kitchen appliances can go in your mixed recycling.  This could be toasters, blenders, food processors, toaster ovens, crock pots, coffee makers and juicers.  If they are still working, please check out our reuse page and consider donating them.

Lawn Mowers

The County has seven scrap metal collection bins at our Recycling & Disposal Sites. Lawn mowers and riding mowers,  gas or electric, can be taken to any of the scrap metal bins.  All liquids, oil and fuels must be removed from the gas mowers.  The tires can remain on the mowers.

The County's Air Pollution Control District has a Lawn Mower Round-up and Replacement program where you can get a rebate of $145 to replace your gas or diesel mower with a new cordless and zero emission mower.  Click here for details or call them at (209) 754-6601.


Lumber and other clean wood can be taken to any of the four County operated facilities.  $4.00 cubic yard is charged for all clean and segregated wood.  

Habitat for Humanity will accept donations of clean lumber and other construction materials.  Please see our reuse page or call them directly at 754-5331 for more information.  Their drop off warehouse is located in San Andreas.