Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
Recycling is one means of ensuring the items we have finished using are returned to the resources pool and either get turned into something else or are cleaned and reused. Recycling not only helps to conserve raw materials, but often helps to save on additional energy that would otherwise be used in producing any new products. But more importantly, for Calaveras County, it reduces the amount of materials going into our Rock Creek landfill.
We hope that with some understanding of the benefits of recycling to our community, it will become second nature. We encourage you to find ways to reduce not only the amount of trash, but the toxicity of the trash we throw away; reuse containers and products; recycle as much as possible and buy products made with recycled content.
Visit the following sites for other useful information on how you can incorporate the 3 R's into your everyday life.
Before you throw it away, consider donating your unwanted and unused items instead.
Habitat for Humanity - Accepts appliances in good working condition; Cabinets; Doors and Windows; Flooring; Furniture; Hand and Power Tools; Hardware; Light and Plumbing Fixtures; Tiles; Unused Construction Lumber. Contact them at (209) 754-5331 for more information.
Habitat for Humanity will also accept vehicle donations. It is quick and easy to donate automobiles, trucks, boats, RV’s, motorcycles, construction equipment and other vehicles, running or not! For more information on how to donate a vehicle for Cars for Homes™ call (877) 277-4344 or visit www.carsforhomes.org.
Wheelchairs, walkers, canes and crutches along with other patient rehabilitation devices can be donated to the Angels Murphys Rotary Club. They will accept all items in any condition. Visit www.angelsmurphysrotary.org for more information.
Donations to our local Animal Shelter like old sheets, towels, washable rugs, durable rubber toys, pet supplies, pet foods and food dishes. Please contact Calaveras County Animal Services at (209) 754-6509 for more information.
Local thrift stores
- Calaveras Humane Society Thrift Store, located at 2182 Highway 4, Arnold, CA 95223. If your items are perfectly serviceable, they would love to have them. Donations are accepted 6 days a week, give them a call at http://calaverashumane.org/thrift-stores/ (209) 795-4483 or visit their website at
- The Salvation Army. For pick up of large donations or items, call the Salvation Army at (800) SA TRUCK or visit their website at www.satruck.org to possibly schedule an online pickup.
- There is a Salvation Army donation drop box located at Calaveras Mini Storage at 1031 S. Hwy 49 in San Andreas.
- Hospice Thrift Store in Angels Camp, located at 570 N. Main Street, contact them at (209) 736-4830 for acceptable items.
- Thrift Store, located at 200 Hwy 12, in Valley Springs. Contact them at (209) 772-2490.
- Libraries - Please donate your new or used books, videos, and DVDs to the Library. Questions about book donations can be directed to (209) 754-6701.
- Textbooks can be recycled through Independent Book Buying Services, IBBS at http://ibbstextbooks.net. Books can also be recycled at Rock Creek Landfill.
- Books and More will take donations of books. Contact them at (209) 736-9020 for more information.
- Hein & Co at 204 Main Street in Jackson will take any and all VHS tapes, DVD's and CD's. They also accept hard bound and paper back books. You can contact them at (209) 223-9076.
- Discover Books will recycle books, DVD's and CD's in their blue recycling bins at the Mar Val Shopping Center in Valley Springs and at the Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility.
Social Media Opportunities
- Facebook Market Place is an online resource for reusing items within your own community.
- Sell your unwanted items at yard sales, Amazon, Ebay or any number of online thrift stores.
- Try listing your items on local bulletin boards, including online bulletin boards.